LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Monday 2 August 2010

Yes, it is . . !

Mac of Mulier Fortis put up a post yesterday on the Holy Father’s visit, entitled ‘It’s Getting Closer’ . . . as, of course, it is.

I’m afraid I still haven’t changed my position : I believe it is inexcusable that no events were arranged at which a significantly large – 250,000+ – attendance could have been present to worship with the Holy Father, and I also have reservations about the ‘Prayer Vigil’ : I’m quite sure that the vast majority of people would have preferred a Mass.

However : the important point is that his visit is getting closer, and that for the vast majority of the Faithful there is little or no chance of attending any of it . . . but Mac is wisely and helpfully pointing out that, even if you have not been able (for one reason or another) to secure a ticket for one of the events, there are other options such as lining the Holy Father’s routes (which I think is a must for all who can manage to do so); and she also mentions Fr de Malleray’s proposal to have a public Rosary in Hyde Park away from the ‘Secure Zone’ of the Prayer Vigil so that another very large group can participate, even if they cannot attend.

At the same time, various little birds have in fact been singing in my ear for several weeks about plans and suggestions for a number of simultaneous events which are intended to allow those who cannot attend the ‘Official Events’ to take an active part in the Papal Visit; and I shall be posting about those as I get confirmation of them . . . but if you know about anything which is happening, and which offers opportunities for the faithful to share in the Holy Father’s visit, even if only at a distance, then please do let me know (by email if you prefer), and I will post it, and also try and make sure that it becomes widely known in other ways.

2 comments:

  1. Well, do keep us posted of all other venues Dominic, and times etc. Especially if you hear of anything in my actual road (well maybe slightly further afield?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is so dignified about having a huge Mass in some ungodly place like a football stadium? I would rather the Pope celebrated Liturgy with the Oratory Fathers at Birmingham, did his canonization business and then went to a large field to preach to large crowds about Newman rather than downgrade the fundamental importance of the Sacred Liturgy just because some enthusiast wants to see the Pope...

    ReplyDelete