LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Friday 13 August 2010

Chinese Whispers

Ever play Chinese Whispers as a child ? Well, the other day, Mac of Mulier Fortis had an interesting post about a meme that she hit me for a while ago that has now mutated : and the very same day, I got tagged with the mutation . . . amazingly, by one of the people I’d originally tagged with Mac’s meme !

It’s gone from prayers to Devotions; and whilst I don’t feel any particular obligation to help transform the chain of Mac’s original meme into some sort of deranged introverted spiral (which appears to be what’s happening), I am happy to discuss devotions for a bit !

However, I’m going to ignore the Rosary, which is undoubtedly my favourite devotion, simply because it’s so obvious . . . and because I have nothing to add to the countless books which have stolen everything I could possibly say about it !

So : five of my favourite devotions . . . (in no particular order).

1. Litany of Humility
This was written by Rafael, Cardinal Merry del Val, and I use it daily in Lent, and at other times when I feel that I need taking down a peg or two . . . or rather, as that’s probably always the case, when even I feel that I need taking down a peg or two !

2. Prayer to Our Lady & S. Dominic
There’s a lovely little prayer in the Libellus of the Order of Preachers which I do love, and do say often : particularly in the London Oratory, where the Statue of OHF Dominic overlooks the Lady Altar.

3. Benediction
I look at Him, and He looks at me . . .

4. Making the Sign of the Cross
Well, it’s a sacramental as well as a devotion; it has actual practical benefits, and it always helps on remember just why – and how – we’re here.

5. O Lumen Ecclesiæ
This antiphon to S. Dominic is traditional at the end of the day; but I use it much more frequently than that . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment