LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Sunday 22 August 2010

And a Happy Birthday . . .

. . . to the inimitable fr Timothy Radcliffe OP, whose delightful personality and character is, I think, wonderfully captured in this splendid informal photo by my dear friend fr Lawrence Lew OP.

When I arrived at S. Sabina and walked past the portraits of the 83 previous successors of St Dominic, I suddenly felt overwhelmed, incapable, and that I ought not to have accepted. Finally I consoled myself with the thought that many of my predecessors had probably been mediocre and soon forgotten. I would do my best, and probably be forgotten too. *

I’m sure he did . . . and I’m quite sure he hasn’t been !

* from I Call You Friends : Continuum, 2001

4 comments:

  1. That's my kind of smiling face! Happy birthday Fr Timothy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was something he said that lead me, ultimately, to making my commitment as a Lay Dominican.

    "If our faith is true, it is the most important thing in the world, and if it's not true, why are we here in this tent being rained on?" (Or words to that effect).

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . . and he was also a substantial contributor to my decision to swim the Tiber; by (unwittingly) helping me to rationalize what appeared to be grave inconsistencies between 'the Spirit of Vatican II' and my historical understanding of the Catholic Faith - for which immense favour I've been privileged to render him many, many, thanks.

    ReplyDelete