LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Thursday 1 July 2010

Christ our Light !

I’m really annoyed that I can’t be where I’d like to be this Saturday; but long-standing previous commitments mean that I just can’t be at S. Dominic’s Church in London, where one of their Deacons – fr David Rocks OP, a friend of mine – is being ordained to the Sacred Priesthood.

fr David was the deacon who, at my first Easter Vigil as a Catholic, sang those words ‘Christ our Light’: although in fact it was the Light of Christ which nearly prevented David from ever receiving the grace of priesthood.

One day at Blackfriars he was pulling down the very substantial sanctuary lamp to change the light before the Tabernacle, and the whole lamp – chains and all – detached itself from the ceiling and fell on his head before smashing the middle of one of the altar steps ! The altar step was quite seriously damaged, and it was necessary to replace a whole section of it.

David was luckier, and made a good recovery, so that on Saturday he will join the many holy priests of the Order of Preachers; and it saddens me that I shall not be able to be there to sharei that very special occasion. However, he will have the benefit of my prayers that day – for whatever good they may be – and I shall look forward to receiving his blessing very shortly afterwards.

Do, please, pray for fr David as he approaches this, the second most important day in his life, and ask Our Blessed Lady and S. Dominic to pray to God that he may always be a good and holy priest, and bring many souls to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment