LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Saturday 16 October 2010

Which ones work for you . . ?

I got involved in a discussion the other evening with some (real) friends on facebook about S. Teresa – or rather,, S. Teresa and S. Therése; and whilst the general feeling was that they were both ‘special’, one said that she liked S. Teresa, but really wasn’t all that wild about S. Therése : which upon consideration was a viewpoint I realized I share . . . I know that S. Therése is a lovely and holy Saint; the problem is that she just doesn’t really ‘grab’ me; although I have to admit that I don’t really know why.

Thinking about it a bit more, though, I realized that I do have ‘preferred’ Saints, and also those who simply don’t do much for me; which led me to recognize the accuracy of the friend who pointed out that it’s probably inevitable that we don’t all go for the same saints . . . and to consider my own ‘hit list’.

I suppose it’s inevitable that S. Dominic is one of mine : it’s why I chose him for one of my Confirmation Names when I was received, because he was a dynamic person who wanted to convey the love and mercy of God to all, always, and everywhere . . . and whilst I certainly can’t claim to meet his incredible standard of speaking always ‘either of God or to God’, I can at least accept him as a standard to aspire to – and feel loved by him as a very humble wanna-be follower in a small way.

Equally, I love S. Philip Neri because he managed to guide so many people to a near-perfect standard in balancing religious and secular life : in living in the world, and doing things of the world, and yet remaining constantly focussed upon, and effective in, their worldly activities . . . and thus providing a good example to those about them. I’m sure I’m nothing like good enough to justify my fondness for him : but I’m very privileged to feel able even to speak directly to him from time to time during Oratory prayers, and I find him such a valuable exemplar to so many nowadays.

Number three ? Well, I have to say that – perhaps somewhat bizarrely – I have a soft spot for S. Ælred of Rievaulx : something which stems from my discovery, a few years ago, that he had a very great belief in the merits of deep friendships as a meritorious and valuable way for people to approach Christ and Christian life generally . . . reading De Spiritali Amicitia is a fascinating exercise, and gives one a very valuable grasp on how to benefit from, rather than be corrupted by, ones friendships, and how to develop them to the enduring benefit of both.

Now . . . I could obviously carry on with a lengthy list : and I think I may from time to time put up a short post about other Saints whom I cherish : but it seems to me that it might also be fun to know what other people think about this.

At the same time I don’t like the idea of putting a burden onto people willy-nilly : so all I am going to say is that it would be lovely to hear from you, either in the Comments section or – for those who have their own blogs – in your blog, with a link in the Comments section . . . so that we can all share with, and learn from, one another.

I wait with interest . . .

2 comments:

  1. Fr Mark at Vultus Christi quotes a Benedictine monk who used to say that “It is not we who choose this saint or that to be our friend; it is, rather, the saints who choose those whom they wish to befriend. The saints choose us, and this, in the light of God’s wisdom and providence.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm... I've posted on my favourite saints before (I did a summary this year on patron saints, and completed a meme in 2008 and another one in 2007), but maybe another post might be in order...

    ReplyDelete