LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Thursday 21 October 2010

Thinking about things going wrong . . .

Every evening, said the S. Curé d’Ars, think over what you have done during the day, and each month over the month and each year over the year. Thus you cannot fail to correct yourself and when death comes you will be ready and happy to go to Heaven.

Of course, such an assessment of one’s conscience does depend on being serious and objective about it; but it has to be a self-evidently good thing for us all to do.

I do try – although I think I don’t succeed particularly well – to do it; and to recognize my failings and shortcomings : and I hope and pray that, as a result, I do slowly improve myself and move a (very) little closer to God’s will for me.

The trouble is that it tends to make me notice what appear to be shortcomings in other people’s conduct as well . . . and whilst I accept that this is itself a shortcoming in me, I do try to learn from what I perceive as their shortcomings too.

What saddens me is when they appear not to care about them . . . but at the same time it also worries me, because it makes me wonder whether my perception of their conduct as wrong is itself wrong, which must call my own assessment of my own conduct into question.

It’s difficult . . . especially when they’re people who I ought to be able to rely on as providing a good example.

Oh dear . . . how difficult.

2 comments:

  1. God removes shortcomings Dominic Mary. Not us. We could strive and strive and still end up with a filthy rag as far as obtaining virtue in His eyes. Our task is to become ever more willing for Him to be able to do so ( remove the shortcomings). That's all, complete surrender of will. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!! Well, maybe not easy, but the crucifixion of self will be worth it in the end.

    As for the others, and their examples, who knows what each man is going through. Make your own example twice as good everytime you feel let down. And leave the other poor soul to God's mercy.

    Oh, and relax sometimes. "A bow always held taught loses it's elasticity"

    A famous Saint said that in the er, fifth Century and St Francis de Sales quoted it, in his Introduction to the Devout Life.

    Put your feet up, eat some crème fraiche and broad beans. You know you want to ;)

    God bless. I will be praying for you too.

    PS. Hope this comment doesn't sound bossy or cheeky. You know that's the last thing I would ever intend.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone elses' fault annoys me I almost always know that I either have the same fault, and it has been nagging at me, or I have a corresponding one. A very good Dominican once said to me, 'throw yourself on the mercy of God, and then get on with cheering others up and helping them to do the same'. My Ma lives her life haunted by regrets, and it upsets me. My one ambition, whatever I do with the time given to me, is to always accept and be grateful for God's grace through forgiveness, and with that, God's grace through letting little faults be forgotten, mine and those of others.

    Is that preachy? Sorry, I blame the Dominican!

    Much love,
    E

    ReplyDelete