LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Sunday 3 October 2010

Just sitting there . . .


Over the years I’ve spent a lot of time travelling . . . and one of the things I’ve discovered is that there is virtue in not trying to make active use of every moment one spends in a plane (or even in a train); but rather to spend at least part of the time simply doing nothing, perhaps looking out of the window, but most importantly of all being quiet, and giving God an opportunity to speak to you.

I’m not saying that He does that constantly : in my experience, at least, He doesn’t . . . but if you give Him a chance, there are times when you do get to hear something; and however trivial it might seem, it is beneficial. Indeed, I have found that simply looking at His creation from a height which allows you to see it all ‘in perspective’ means that you get an entirely different attitude to the world in which you live . . . which is a wonderful gift.

So; next time you’re flying – or even off on a train journey – give God a few moments to affect your mind . . . you won’t regret it if He does.

(I don’t, unfortunately, know where the picture came from; but I believe it to be of the Himalayas . . . which really are that wonderful to view !)

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you Dominic Mary. When I was jungle treking in the Malaysians jungle this summer, I savoured those moments when I could just sit still and look out over the mighty jungle. It's such an incredible place. God is truly AWEsome.

    ReplyDelete