LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Wednesday 6 October 2010

Gloriously Silent

Which may seem an odd title for me to be using; but I have to be honest and say that there’s a part of me which envies those who can make it into a Charterhouse, and stay there . . . because in that silence it must be possible, given time, to get very close to God.

Yes; I may be on the web quite a lot . . . but in fact I would like to think that in general terms I spend less time on the web than I do praying; and a good part of my private life is in fact spent at home in silence. OK, I have a radio/CD player . . . but I can’t actually remember when I had it on : because after a working life full of sound, it is just so good to get some peace and quiet, and to listen for God . . . and sometimes to hear Him : such a gracious gift.

Today is the feast of S. Bruno : and of all the founders of Religious Orders he is probably the least noticed, simply because the Charterhouses are often the most overlooked . . . and yet they are such precious powerhouses of prayer, and beacons of God’s love.

It’s often said that the Charterhouses have never been reformed because they’ve never been deformed : presumably because they’ve always clung tightly to that Carthusian motto – ‘Stat Crux, dum volvitur orbis’.

Let us pray for all Carthusians, as they undoubtedly pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment