LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Saturday 16 January 2010

How Hard It Is

Living in the Shadowlands has just posted this account of her thoughts about the situation in Haiti, and our responses to it, whilst sitting outside Mass this evening.

It is moving, and thought-provoking : I urge you to read it.

UPDATE
After reading the above, Shadowlands emailed me to express a concern about what people might think of her post. It seemed to me then - as I replied - that it was a very clear and honest insight into the working of prayer in the human mind. She might not believe me, but it's the sort of honesty which you find in the writings of some of the Saints, and certainly has parallels in the 'Journal of a Soul' of Blessed John XXIII.

Of course it feels hopeless to pray at such times; but surely the very acceptance of one's hopelessness is (a) precious to God, and therefore beneficial to those for whom you pray; and (b) beneficial to you, as helping you deepen your insight into your own inadequacy, and God's love. Similarly, the acknowledgement of one's selfishness, and lack of spiritual commitment, is painful to achieve; the ability to recognize it is of great value; the honesty of posting it on the web, even if anonymously, is tremendous.

I make no claim to being an expert; but we're all called to be Saints; and I'd have thought that Shadowlands is teaching us all something valuable about recognizing our failings, and admitting them, which can only help us in that ambition. I for one shall try and profit from her comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment