LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Friday 1 January 2010

GLORIFY THY NAME

You may not know this hymn, which is clearly written for New Year. I'm sure you can imagine how I felt singing the last verse a few weeks after my wife died : yet at the same time it was strangely healing. Let it be a New Year prayer for us all, today, and every day – of this year, and every year.

Father, let me dedicate
All this year to Thee,
In whatever worldly state
Thou wouldst have me be :
Not from sorrow, pain, or care
Freedom dare I claim :
This alone shall be my prayer –
‘Glorify Thy Name’.

Can a child presume to choose
Where or how to live ?
Can a Father’s love refuse
All the best to give ?
More Thou givest every day
Than the best can claim,
Nor withholdest aught that may
Glorify Thy Name.

If in mercy Thou wilt spare
Joys that yet are mine;
If on life, serene and fair,
Brighter rays may shine;
Let my glad heart, while it sings,
Thee in all proclaim,
And, whate’er the future brings,
Glorify Thy Name.

If Thou callest to the cross,
And its shadow come,
Turning all my gain to loss,
Shrouding heart and home;
Let me think how Thy dear Son
To His glory came,
And in deepest woe pray on,
‘Glorify Thy Name’.

No comments:

Post a Comment