LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Monday 6 September 2010

Magnificat ?

Well, I have to say that I have found this an interesting publication, for all sorts of reasons.

I find it worrying that, given how important it is, someone hasn’t done much of a job of proofreading : ‘Emiritus’, for example, got by – and that in a title line – and ‘Ioanne Henrico’ in the latin of the Beatification Mass becomes merely ‘John’ in the translation.

I am bewildered by certain things which one might have thought could be explained : why, for instance, is the Archbishop of Southwark welcoming the Holy Father to Hyde Park, which is not in his Archdiocese ?

Why on earth does the Hyde Park Vigil have to have quite so much music of protestant origin ? How about ‘Faith of Our Fathers’, for example, and ‘God Bless Our Pope’ : where are they, to allow us Catholics to express our feelings for the Holy Father ?

And finally, given that I understand that copies were send out to all churches for free distribution to the Faithful, to allow them to participate as fully as possible in the Holy Father’s visit, whether by being present, or on television or the radio (or even, presumably, in spirit), I was surprised to discover that some churches – and not, by any means, the poorest of them – were somewhat forcibly soliciting contributions from their people in exchange for their copies.

Oh dear : even this has not been without its problems, has it ?

We really must pray that all will go well once the Holy Father arrives.

4 comments:

  1. And the new Blessed is John Cardinal Henry Newman rather than John Henry Cardinal Newman!! Most odd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith of Our Fathers would be very appopriate considering it was written by a fellow Oratorian

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I was surprised to discover that some churches – and not, by any means, the poorest of them – were somewhat forcibly soliciting contributions from their people in exchange for their copies."

    Yes, I noticed that on Sunday at the Brompton Oratory and St James, Spanish Place... as you say, not the poorest!! Where is the money going?!

    As to the booklet itself, not withstanding the mistakes you mention, on the whole I was rather impressed. It looks nice and generally speaking I think they've done a good job; the Hyde Park event was never, I suspect, going to be my cup of tea, but I suppose there are plenty of Catholics more into that kind of thing and they have the right to greet our Pope too.. and I think the vigil with His Holiness itself will be more dignified than the litu-tainment beforehand. The Mass at Cofton looks more promising than various scare-stories had led me to believe (I think I'll shut my eyes in respect of that hideous sanctuary!).

    I'm not going to let anything spoil my excitement for the first visit to these shores by a Pope since I became Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Suggested donation £2" - Westminster Cathedral on Monday!

    ReplyDelete