LIBERA ME, Domine, Iesu Christe, ab omnibus iniquitatis meis et universis malis,
fac me tuis semper inhærere mandatis et a te numquam separari permittas. Amen.



Thursday 25 November 2010

Thinking about our American friends' today


Today is Thanksgiving for our American friends : and for us non-Americans I have to admit that it is the beginning of what appears (to some of us, anwyay - see what I wrote yesterday) to be a rather inverted period of time . . . most, at least, of the US gets very excited about Christmas more or less from now until Christmas Day, and then moves on to other things the very next day !

That, however, is not an issue down to either the Founders of the US, or even to the Catholics of it . . . I’m sure that the Founders understood the need to keep Christmas going throughout its proper period, and I live in hope that the Catholic Church there, at least, continues to do so today.

But that’s not the issue today, anyway : today it’s simply - and entirely properly - about thanking God for His infinite love and generosity, and for His generosity in leading all men through His Church to the blessed vision of peace.

So, although I personally dislike pretty much everything that appears to be considered to be fundamental element of the normal Thanksgiving Dinner (I dislike turkey, have serious reservations about mashed potato with roasts, and am allergic to sweetcorn !) I wish all my American friends and readers a splendid and enjoyable day, and assure them that they in particular, and the US in general, are in my prayers today.

Father, all-powerful,
Your gifts of love are countless,
and Your goodness infinite.
On Thanksgiving Day we come before You
with gratitude for Your kindness :
open our hearts to concern for our fellow men and women,
so that we may share Your gifts in loving service.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit,
one God for ever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment